Complete Makeup Guide For Beginners
It is like a birth right for us girls to learn makeup and eventually become a pro at it. Makeup enhances our beauty more. The ‘make-up’ word itself is so attractive yet it intimidates many to play with colors. All the makeup beginners out there, I understand how you feel right now. I was at the exact same spot not a long time ago. So in this post, I’ll be sharing a complete makeup guide that you need to know as a beginner. Don’t be so confused! It could be easy and fun! So hop in to learn!
For the base
- Moisturizer: A moisturizer does not fall into the makeup category but it is needed to nourish and hydrate your skin. Further to prep for makeup application. Choose a moisturizer suitable for your skin type.
- Primer: This is a must follow step even as a beginner. Since a primer acts as a barrier between the skin and makeup. Also, so it makes your makeup last longer! Some primers can even fill large and open pores. This helps with smooth foundation application.
- Tinted moisturizer: It does the job of a moisturizer and a foundation both in one go. And it provides light coverage too.
- BB cream: (Blemish Balm) It provides light to medium coverage and is quite beginner friendly. If you have blemished skin then go for a BB cream. There are limited shades available in BB cream. Some also come with SPF like Pond’s BB+ cream.
- CC cream: (Color Correcting) It also provides light to medium coverage and is also beginner friendly like the BB cream. If you have redness then go for a CC cream. There are limited shades available in CC cream.
- Foundation: You all must be familiar with foundation. But how many know that there are different types of foundation? Foundation ranges from light to medium to heavy coverage. Foundation also comes in liquid, stick, mousse and powder formulation. If you have dry skin then go with a dewy finish foundation, which will suffice the need of your thirsty skin. And if you have oily skin then go with matte finish foundation, it will help to keep the oil in control. Brands offer plenty of shades in a foundation. So pick a foundation according to your skin type and skin complexion.
- Concealer: Concealers are mainly used to conceal skin blemishes. Some concealers like the white-yellow colored are also used for highlighting. There are different concealers to conceal different skin blemishes. Most widely used are yellow and green. Yellow to conceal dark circles. And green to conceal redness from acne or acne lesions.
- Finishing powder: You can use any powder as your finishing powder/setting powder. It could be a compressed powder or compact, or a loose powder. It is basically applied on all the oily regions of your face. So that excess oil is absorbed. Also, helps the makeup to last longer since it also absorbs sweat which could melt your base and give you a patchy look.
- Blush: After covering uneven skin tone and imperfections you don’t want to end up with a flat look! So you should use a blush too to add some natural tint to your cheeks, which looks healthy. Pick blush according to your skin complexion.
As a beginner, you have a choice to select from Tinted moisturizer, BB cream, CC cream, and Foundation. And a concealer is optional only if you have mild to no dark circles.
- Eyeliner, Kohl/Kajal: Both the products are self-explanatory. Most commonly used is in the color black. But they do come in other colors than black.
- Eye lash curler & Mascara: Mascaras also come in other colors. But most commonly used is in the color black. If you want to use mascara then eye lash curler is a must! Remember, eye lash curler & mascara are partners for life! Though there are some mascaras available which give curled effect. Like the Lakme eyeconic curling mascara.
- Eyeshadows: As a beginner this is optional. But if you want to try then practice with neutral colors first. You can find plenty of options in eye shadow palette with neutral colors.
- Eyebrow: This is one of my favorite part in makeup! You would rarely see me stepping out without filling the sparse spaces in my eyebrows with a pencil. The key point to remember, if you have darker hairs then get an eyebrow pencil with a shade lighter and vice versa.
As a beginner, you don’t necessarily have to apply eye shadows. It is optional. But if you decide to play with colors then use a primer first. As of now, eye liner, Kohl, eye brow pencil and mascara would do!
For lips, there are so many options to choose from- tinted lip balm, gloss, lipstick, liquid lipstick, chubby stick, lip pencil! (What did I miss out?)
As a beginner, a tinted lip balm would work. But if you decide to go for more pigmented colors then scrub your lips regularly. And pick the lipstick shades which will compliment your skin. Stay away from the ones which give you washed out look!
Yes, at a beginner level there a few makeup brushes which will help you out to achieve a seamlessly flawless finish. I have done a full post on makeup brushes. You can check it out- 7 must have makeup brushes for beginners.
Makeup Setting spray
A makeup setting spray works exactly same like how a hair spray works. It keeps the makeup in place for long hours. It is very useful when you have a special event to attend which would last for hours. This is optional for newbies though.
- Pay attention to your neck too.
- Remember, skin care is equally important!
I hope this makeup guide was helpful for makeup newbies. Now you are introduced to all the makeup stuff through this makeup guide. You can decide yourself which products you wanna get and began shopping! (Keep my recommendations in mind!)
Also leave a comment down below sharing which was your very first makeup product? Mine was kajal! And which one is your favourite? I can’t pick one between my eye brow pencil & my mascara! 🙂
Also, check out!
Note: Please don’t make any DIY in huge quantity. For any DIY try to finish it within 10 to 15 days.